Sunday, May 24, 2009

Father's Day Gift Craft



With Father's Day coming up I thought I would share an inexpensive but great gift for fathers and grandfathers! I made these this past Christmas and I don't have any before or during pictures but it is super simple so here is what you need:

-Flat canvas (I chose 8x10)
-Picture frame the same size as canvas (remove glass)
-Acrylic paint (I used cream and two shades of blue)
-White tissue paper
-Alphabet stamps
-Stamp Ink (I chose a dark brown to match the frame)
-Mod Podge
-Paint brushes
- Sponge Paint Brushes (to apply Mod Podge)


First I painted the entire canvas cream and while It was drying I stamped the "wording" onto the tissue paper and cut ALL excess tissue off.

Once the paint was dry I put a generous, but not too thick, coat of Mod Podge ONLY where the stamped pieces of tissue were going to be placed.

Carefully put the stamped tissue pieces on the Mod Podge and then apply another coat of Mod Podge on top of the tissue. Gently flatten out the tissue pieces with your paint brush or sponge.

Now for the hand prints. My oldest was easy! I just painted a coat of the dark blue paint on his hand and had him put it directly onto the canvas. My youngest was only 3 months at the time so while he was sleeping I traced his hand onto a piece of paper, cut it out and I then I traced and painted it by hand on top of my oldest's print with light blue paint.

After all the paint was dry I put a thin coat of Mod Podge over the entire canvas.

These gifts were a hit and there aren't very many crafty gifts you can give to a man that he will actually use!

And Remember, as the Nester says, "It doesn't have to be perfect to be beautiful!"

Feel free to email if you have any questions on this craft!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Jessica! Just wanted to let you know I love this plaque! Very cute. I love personalized gifts using Mod Podge (you would be able to tell from my blog!). Anyway, keep on crafting, this is great!

Amy

Bobbi & Noe said...

This is incredible!!! I have 4 kiddos and would love to make this for my husband. Thanks for the idea!!!!